Monday, March 2, 2009

 

Why Journalism?


Laura Washington, who teaches journalism at DePaul University, recently asked her students "why, amid all the gloom and doom," do they continue to want to be journalists?

She wrote in the Chicago Sun-Times about some of the responses she received:
"I think we want to be journalists because it's who we are, as people ..."

"We are willing to work for close to nothing because it is who we are ..."

"Just like there are starving artists, we are starving journalists ..."

"I'm a news junkie. I'm nosy. I love information ..."

As Washington notes in the Sun-Times, a surprising number of students continue to be interested in pursuing journalism degrees.

The Washington Post has a related piece about the Philip Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland, in which 600 students are currently enrolled.

(via Romenesko)

-- TJ Sullivan


*** Sign The Petition ***


Labels:


MAIN ... ABOUT ... FAQ ... PETITION ... CONTACT


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home