Monday, March 9, 2009

 

'Laid Off at 22'


As Laura Blewitt explains in her online profile, she heard all the warnings while studying journalism in college. People told her there was no future in it. They advised her to get out while there was still time. She went ahead anyway and got a job as a web producer at a TV station.

Then Laura got laid off and, as she writes on her blog, she's not sure where to go from here:
"... I worked so hard to become a journalist since the day I switched my liberal arts major over to multimedia journalism. I did everything I could to gain experience, learn new skills and become a concerned, involved and accurate journalist and citizen. I went from general newspaper reporting to web editing to radio reporting looking for a way to become a part of the media. And once I got my job as a web producer I felt like it all paid off.

[Snip ...]

"... At the end of December I had two jobs -- my web producer job and another freelance editing job with a local magazine. Now it’s March 9th, and I have zero jobs. The magazine folded and my position was eliminated.

"I’ve worked so hard to keep ahead. I graduated a year early and put myself out into the industry as fast as my little feet could take me. I wanted to succeed and grow as a professional as fast as I could, but you know, maybe I jumped the gun."

She's seeking career advice at her blog, "now you see it."

(Twitter This)

-- TJ Sullivan


*** Sign The Petition ***


Labels:


MAIN ... ABOUT ... FAQ ... PETITION ... CONTACT


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home