Monday, March 2, 2009

 

'Why Bother Subscribing?'


Jennifer Saba, the "Jen" at Fitz & Jen, makes an excellent point while explaining what made her balk at part of that Hearst memo about charging for Web access:
"If newspapers plan to keep publishing the print editions -- and they most definitely should -- making them all carbon copies of other papers in different cities is not going to cut it. Go ahead, try and raise the cost of a subscription  and let's see how far you get. The print edition needs to offer smart and different content that what is on the Web site.

When I travel around or I'm lucky enough to have a paper sent to me from a different city, I'm mostly astounded at what passes in print. The paper is emaciated. It's full of AP and wire content. The layout looks sloppy. Why bother subscribing? Give your readers a reason.
"

Read the full post at Fitz & Jen.

-- TJ Sullivan


*** Sign The Petition ***


Labels:


MAIN ... ABOUT ... FAQ ... PETITION ... CONTACT


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home